OK, so WordPress 2.3 is here at last.
I have to say, reading this over at Weblog Tools Collection scared me a bit.
In the end, it all turned out to be a lot easier than I thought. It was also a good opportunity to clean up the clutter. This is what I did:
- Made a copy of the database
- Made a backup of my whole site
- Deleted all files in the root except for wp-config.php
- Deleted wp-admin and wp-includes
- Deleted anything in wp-content except for the plugins I thought I might keep, my theme and my uploads
- Deactivated all plugins except akismet
- Switched to the deafult theme
- Uploaded WP 2.3
- Ran the database conversion
After that, I updated the plugins that were showing up as old and imported my tags from Simple Tagging Plugin to the new WP 2.3 tags (Manage – Import; took me a while to find the importer…). Then it was just a matter of updating the tag code in my template using Rich Gilchrest’s guide, and everything was well again.
Let me know if anything looks broken to you, will ya?