– For introducing me to satire and irony as a kid
– For many fun hours spent reading your books
– For making watching chess games so much more entertaining
Rest in peace, Ephraim Kishon. Hope you’re enjoying some jewish poker with your friend Jossele.
Look at these pictures.
Extremely cool (though not very practical).
Looks like it’s been industrially produced (how else would you do that??) – I imagine the guy could sell a few of those at a premium price if he tried…
I’m soo mad – today my wife took our oldest daughter Mara (3) to the swimming pool. Ouside it’s snowing, minus 2 degrees. In order not to make the lockers too dirty, she put all the shoes on the floor next to the locker, as everyone else did.
When they came back after two hours, Mara’s winter boots had been stolen.
OK, so the person had enough money to go for a swim but then needed to steal a 3 year old’s boots (which cost about 5 Euro)???
How bad has the world become if you steal a kid’s winter boots? It’s not about the money – but that lack of decency simply is disgusting. Hope the guy slipped on the snow outside and broke his leg…
Hope these guys can get something moving and shaking…
Whoa – nice! I had a C64 as well as the Competition Pro back in the early 80s, and now there is a version of the joystick that comes with the C64 *inside* the joystick.
Makes it pretty clear how much computers have evolved, doesn’t it? Can’t wait for the PAL version…
UPDATE 2005-02-04: The PAL version should be available by April. And there’s even a DTV Hacking site out already!
Excellent post by Wil Wheaton.
I still find it hard to comprehend that there are people defending this – check Wil’s comments and trackbacks. Sheesh….
I’m quite happy with the Zen Micro MP3 player, but being the nagging bastard that I am, here’s what I think might come handy in a later version of the firmware:
- USB drive mode: I don’t know if it’s just me – while the new firmware is supposed to let me mount the Zen’s hard drive as a USB drive without additional drivers, I can’t get this to work. Or has this been marketing doublespeak and only refers to the designated storage that you can reserve for non MP3 stuff – is there no way to mount the whole drive???
- Audio file types: This is probably something that needs to be addressed by desktop apps like iTunes and WMP10: I would like to be able to differentiate and/or filter between music and other audio content like podcasts or audiobooks. This is needed if I want to shuffle just among my music files, for example
- Automatic bookmarking: I came across this when I accidentally hit “stop” in the middle of a podcast. Wouldn’t it be nice if, whenever you do something like that, the player automatically bookmarks the time you left listening mode and lets you return to it later? Maybe these bookmarks could even e stored in the comments part of the file’s ID3 tags??
- Last listened to: It would also be nice when the file has last been *completely* listened to. See above
- Caching: I was astonished to find out that I often have to wait a few seconds when moving between playlists, obviously because the hard drive has to start spinning again. PLEASE – this is soooo 80s – I’m sure someone can come up with a clever caching algorithm to make this smoother for the user.
- History: This would be an additional menu item in the “DJ” menu: let me see the 50 files most recently listened to. This is much more useful (to me at least) than the files I have played most.
This is it for now, all in all I’m pretty happy with the Zen Micro. A leather case would have been nice, though. There doesn’t even seem to be one by third party vendors.